We can classify the Jain temples and places of Interest at Hombuja as follows:
This temple is situated in the out skirts of Hombuja and besides the origin of Kumudvathi river (popularly called as Kumudvathi Tirtha). The temple is in a very diapilated state & has only the Garbagriha. We can find an inscription in front of the temple and the ruins indicate that is had a wide mukha mantapa in front of the Garbagriha. It has a 3 feet high stone idol of a Tirthankar in padmasana posture. This idol was installed by Paliakka the second wife of Vikrama Santhara & hence the name Paliakka Basadi. by The temple also called as Tirthada Basadi / Pattana Swamy Jinalaya was built by Pattanaswamy Nokkaiah Shetty in Saka year 984 on the auspicious Karthika months 5th sunday.
This temple is located on a small hillock (Gudda) behind the Jain Mutt & main temple complex. Guddada Basadi also called as Bahubali temple was built in 898 A.D. This temple was built by the Santhara king Vikrama Santhara at the behest of his guru Moni Siddantha Bhattaraka. The temple was built in Ganga Dravidian style. It has a 5 feet high of Lord Bahubali as the main deity. Since the temple was in a very bad state the entire stucture was dismantled in 1950 with an intention of rebuilding it. Due to many inevitble reasons the renovation work of this temple was not completed.
In the 1970s a 21 feet high marble idol of Lord Parshwanath in Kayotsarga was installed in an open field. However, the panchakalyana of this idol was not conducted.
With an intention of bringing back its glory a new temple is being constructed around the Parshwanath idol with the ancient idol of Lord Bahubali on its right & Lord Shanthinath in Kayotsarga on its right has been built. In addition to this two small temple for Goddess Byrava Padmavati & Dharanendra Yaksha are also constructed besides the main temple.
The Panchakalyana pratishta mahotsava of this newly constructed Trikuta Jain temple will be held from May 10-16, 2013. The Jain idols pratishta & mahamasthakabhisheka mahotsava will be conducted on the occasion under the guidance of His Holiness Swasti Sri Devendrakeerthi Bhattarakha Swamiji, the pontiff of Hombuja Jain Math.
This is one of the ancient temples of Hombuja built by the Santaras. Also called as Ashokavana temple this temple belongs to the Badami Chalukyas period of around 7th & 8th century A.D. The brick compound, brick construction in the first floor and its tiled roof are all recent inclusions that have been built during renovations. But otherwise the entire temple is built in Dravidian style of architecture. One notable feature of the first floor construction is the presence of a garbagriha above the one in the ground floor. This is a very unique feature found only in the Jain temple architecture.
The pillars of the Bogara Basadi are unique and their intricate carvings are very attractive. Outside the temple are found a couple of ruined Yaksha & Yakshi idols along with some naga shilpa idols.
This temple has the idol of Lord Parshwanath in Kayotsarga as the main deity.
It has the garbagriha, antarala and navaranga. On its first floor is found a tiled structure with rooms. These were built for the children to study. Hence the name Makkala (children) basadi. On the tiled structure is built a pinnacle like structure on the sanctum sanctorum in the form of a stupa. On carefully observing the architectural style of this temple it can be concluded that the temple was built in the 10th century.
An inscriptional reference mentions that the Panchakuta Basadi at Hombuja was built in the year A.D. 1077 by Chattala Devi who was married the prince of Pallavas. This temple has five Garbagrihas and hence the name Panchakuta Basadi. It has an ancient Manasthambha and many other ruined Jain idols are preserved in the premises of the temple by the Archeological Survey of India (ASI). We can find the idols of Lord Adinath, Shanthinath, Aranatha, Chandranatha and Parshwanath in the Panchakutas.
This temple is a part of the Jain Math building. A 12 inches high idol of Lord Neminath in Padmasana and Goddess Saraswathi are the main deities and are found in the sanctum sanctorum of this temple.
The Jain Math is attached to the main temple complex to its right. Its entrance is flanked by Dwarapalakas. It is the official residence of His Holiness Swasti Sri Devendrakeerthi Bhattaraka Swamiji the pontiff of the Math. The main administrative office is housed in the same building.
Behind the Jain Math adjacent to the main building is attached the dining hall. Free food facilities are provided to the devotees here.
History of Hombuja Jain Math – The Jain Math at Humcha/Hombuja might have been established during the period of Jinadattaraya. There are references about the relation of the Hombuja Jain Math with Varanga. The pontiff of the Hombuja Jain Math is called as SwastiSri Devendrakeerthi Bhattraka Swamiji. The Bhattaraka at Hombuja is said to belong to the Kundakundanvaya Saraswathi Gachha tradition.
This temple is located to the right of Parshwanath temple on its rear side. This is a brick & concrete structure. It houses the idol of Kshetrapala.
This is a brick and concrete structure that has undergone repeated renovations. It has about 2 feet high stone idol of Goddess Padmavathi and a white coloured marble idol of Lord Parshwanatha in padmasana as the main deities. This is the idol that is looked upon with high degree of devotion and reverence across the world. Both the idols are installed atop the well. Behind the temple is found the Lakki tree, related to the story of Goddess Padmavathi. The tree is protected by a concrete structure with stone idols of Nagashilpa, Lord Parshwanath, Goddess Padmavathi and Jinadattaraya.
This temple was constructed by TrailokyaMalla Veera Santhara in A.D.1062. Later, the temple was renovated in 1950. This temple is also called as Nokki Abbe temple.
This is a old stone structure and is in the form of a typical ancient temple with the Navaranga, Sukanasi and Garbagriha. In the navaranga are placed the peetha/seat and the paduka of the Bhattaraka, and an ancient idol of Goddess Ambika. On the right side of Navaranga are found two black coloured stone idols of Lord Parshwanath, one of these idols is in Kayotsarga and is very ancient and the other is a new idol in padmasana. To the left of the Navaranga is found an ancient black coloured idol of Lord Parshwanath in Kayotsarga. This idol called as Upasarga Parshwanath and is considered as the only one of its kind in the world as it has the figures of two humans troubling Lord Parshwnanath while in penance and the same humans have bowed down to Lord Parshwanath on either sides of the feet.
Main Deity – Lord Parshwanath is the main deity of the temple. It is a 4 feet high idol in Padmasana mounted on a pedestal (Peetha). This idol is flanked by Chamaradharis on either side, Dharanendra Yaksha on its right & Goddess Padmavati on its left.
First Floor – This has the idols of Lord Mahavir and other Tirthankaras.
Second Floor – This has the marble idol of Lord Parshwanath in Padmasana.
The main temple complex begins with a series of 11 steps spread over an area of around 20 feet. In the midst of the steps is found an ancient Manasthambha and on climbing few steps we come across a huge open hall similar to a Mukha Mantapa in ancient temples. On moving ahead of the open hall in the centre is found the Parshwanath temple, to its right are placed a series of ancient Jain idols recovered from different parts of Karnataka some of which are in its ruins. Further, ahead of the Jain idols is found the Kshetrapala Brahma Yaksha temple.To the left of the Parshwanatha temple is found the Padmavati Basadi.